Unhappy employees or outside visitors to your business may try to steal sensitive information that can damage or destroy your company. To protect top secret information, follow these tips.
- Identify important information – The first step to protecting sensitive business information is to determine what is actually important. You would be amazed how many businesses do not take the time to do this.
- Put it under lock and key – Keep important files and other sensitive information under lock and key. You might also want to consider fire-proof file cabinets to defend against a potential fire.
- Consider access control – An access control system keeps employees and unauthorized personnel out of areas where sensitive information is stored. Access control systems can help you track and monitor access to restricted areas to ensure top secret business information is safe.
- Keep sensitive information offline – In this day and age, many sensitive files are stored on computers, which possibly makes them accessible to unauthorized employees or even hackers. Consider keeping important files on offline computers. If you need to have the files on a network, get a good firewall and password protect everything.
- Think about security cameras – Security camera surveillance can help deter the possibility of employees taking a peek at sensitive information. They’ll also catch them in the act.
These are some of the best ways to protect top secret business materials. It’s very important to properly train employees on how to handle sensitive information about your business.
At Hue & Cry, Inc., we help businesses in Northern California and Southern Oregon with their business security needs. To find out how we can help you, please visit www.HueAndCry.com.
Tags: business document theft, business information theft, corporate espionage prevention, Employee Theft