According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are more than 90,000 fires in non-residential structures every single year. Many of these are business-related fires.
If you want to better protect your business, it’s important to understand the causes of many business fires. Below, we outline some of the top ones.
- Your Employees – Your employees can cause accidental office fires. Whether it’s not paying attention to what they’re cooking at lunch, lighting candles or smoking in the office, your employees can be a threat to your business. To protect against this, create policies that prevent them from smoking or lighting candles in the office.
- Smoking – This is a common cause of business fires, especially for restaurants and bars. At the end of the day make sure all ashtrays are cleaned and emptied. Business owners in retail and office related work should consider establishing and enforcing no smoking policies to protect against this threat.
- Small Appliances and Office Equipment – Coffee makers and toaster ovens and other small appliances can spark a fire at your business. Make sure all small appliances are unplugged at the end of the day. Also be sure to clean toaster ovens and coffee makers to reduce the threat of a fire.
- Office Equipment – Frayed wires and overloaded electrical outlets are common causes of business fires. Make sure office equipment is regularly serviced and repaired. Also don’t overload electrical outlets. If wires are frayed, take it in for repair or replace it.
- Arson – A good number of business fires are intentional. To protect against arsons, be sure your business is properly secured. Consider perimeter security cameras as well as a good business security system to defend against criminals trying to destroy your business.
These are some of the top causes of business fires. To better protect your business, have your fire detection and sprinkler systems regularly tested and inspected.
At Hue & Cry, Inc., we test and inspect fire and sprinkler systems in California and Oregon. You can find out more information by visiting our website at www.HueAndCry.com or calling us at 1-800-763-3196.