The business offices of Hue & Cry Security Systems will be closed November 24-25 for Thanksgiving.
Our Central Alarm Monitoring Center and Security and Fire System Repair Service will remain open as usual. If you have any questions for our business office, feel free to contact us on our contact page. We will be back open at normal business hours on Monday, November 28.
We hope you have a great Thanksgiving with family and friends! For those of you doing some holiday shopping this week, here are some important shopping safety tips.
9 Black Friday Safety Tips
If you plan on doing any shopping on Black Friday or this weekend, be sure to follow the consumer safety advice below.
1. Shop with Family and Friends – You’re safer in numbers and less likely to be a target for thieves.
2. Keep Your Shopping Bags Near You – Whether you’re in a store, at lunch or in a restroom, keep your shopping back near you at all times.
3. Keep Shopping Bags Out of Sight in Vehicle – If possible, drop shopping bags off at home before visiting another store. At the very least, keep items out of sight in your vehicle.
4. Lock Your Vehicle – During the holidays, double check to make sure that you have locked your vehicle’s doors and enabled the car alarm.
5. Watch Your Purse/Wallet – Keep your purse zipped up and near you at all times. For men, keep your wallet in an inside coat pocket or in a font pocket.
6. Avoid Help from Strangers – It’s better to get help from store representatives or family and friends. Some “helpful” strangers may turn out to be thieves.
7. Don’t Carry Large Amounts of Cash – Limit the amount of cash in your purse or wallet. Also be very discrete when counting money.
8. Pay Attention to Surroundings – Don’t get too distracted while shopping. Always pay attention to your surroundings.
9. Leave the Kids at Home with Family – It’s better to leave the kids at home with family or friends. If you take the kids out shopping, have a plan in place in case you get separated.
5 Online Shopping Safety Tips
If you’re considering doing any online shopping, you’ll want to make sure you follow these safety tips.
1. Shop at Reputable Websites – Shop at familiar websites and online stores. Always make sure the website starts with HTTPS:// when you’re making a purchase.
2. Pay with Credit Cards – Avoid paying with a debit/check card. This will help to protect your checking account. The safest bet is using pre-paid credit cards.
3. Shop on Your Computer – Don’t shop on a public computer at a coffee shop or at a library. You never know who could be watching you.
4. Never Store Credit Card Information – Many online stores allow you to store credit card information for easy access. This is not safe. You never know when someone can hack into the account.
5. Avoid Deals Too Good to be True – Be on the look out for email scams and other online cons. Don’t respond to any suspicious emails with deals that seem to good to be true.
Enjoy the Holiday Season!
While it’s important to be safe this holiday season, remember to also enjoy your time with family and friends.
At Hue & Cry Security Systems, we’re a family owned and operated business. We understand what’s important to families.
For more great security tips, read these other posts on the Hue & Cry Security Blog.
The Top Five Holiday Travel Tips For Airports
Holiday Driving Safety Tips That Will Keep Your Family Safe
Homeowners: Be On The Lookout for Door-to-Door Scam Artists