And it takes a good construction manager to get the job done on time and on budget.
Here are five of the most important traits every good construction manager needs.
1. Flexibility – A good construction manager has the ability to adapt to different situations. They know how to properly manage their time so things get done.
2. Humility – Workers want a manger that can admit when someone else has a better idea. In the end, it’s all about getting the project done on time. Humility is a must on the job site.
3. Determination – In tough times, employees are going to look to you for guidance. Having the resilience and true grit to get things done is a necessity on any construction site.
4. Focus – A great manager keeps their eyes on the prize. They don’t let the minor things weigh on you.
5. Integrity – Employees respect a great construction manager because they are honest and trustworthy.
While each of these traits is important to your success, you should also have a good management style.
You can perfect your management style by taking the following steps:
- Step 1: Learn from Mistakes – As a manager you’re going to make some mistakes. It’s up to you to learn from them and get better at your job.
- Step 2: Hear What Your Employees Have to Say – It’s important to get feedback from your employees. Do they understand your directions? Listening to your employees will help you perfect your management style.
- Step 3: Understand Your Employees – Employees are not clones of each other. Everyone is different. You need to understand the differences and their different work styles.
- Step 4: Keep Track of Results – Are things getting done on time? If not, you may need to allocate more time to a project or provide the workers with extra help. Monitoring results helps a lot in improving your management style.
- Step 5: Be Yourself – Don’t try to be someone that you are not. A good manager accepts their personality. However, they’re always striving to get better.
Following these tips will help you become a better construction manager.
At Hue & Cry Security Systems, we are fire and security experts. Contractors keep hiring us for their security and fire needs because of our ability to get the job done on time and on budget.
To learn how we can help on your next project, visit our contractor services page or give us a call at 800-762-3196.construction management, construction management tips, fire and security contractor, low voltage contractor