It’s all part of a state carbon monoxide law that went into effect in July 2011. The law requires all existing single-family homes that contain a gas heater or appliance, fireplace or an attached garage to have carbon monoxide detectors.
The law states that:
- Carbon monoxide detectors should be placed outside of sleeping areas and on the entry level of the home.
- Carbon monoxide detectors must be battery powered, plug-in with battery back up or hard-wired with battery backup.
So why has California made it mandatory for many homes to have carbon monoxide detectors?
According to the Centers for Disease and Control, carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of more than 16,000 deaths in the United States between 1999 and 2004.
To protect your family, follow the tips in this posting
Common causes of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Attached garages
- Water heaters
- Indoor grilling
- Range hoods
- Clothes dryers
- Portable heaters
If it’s gas powered, there’s a possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. A carbon monoxide detector helps to eliminate the possibility of CO poisoning.
Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning is often known as the “silent killer” because it is an invisible, odorless gas. If you or a family member is experiencing any of these symptoms, you might have CO poisoning.
If you have any of these symptoms, immediately leave your home and get medical help.
What To Do If Your Carbon Monoxide Alarm Goes Off
If your CO detector should go off, you should take the following actions:
- Turn off appliances
- Leave the home
- Open windows and doors to get fresh air into the home
- Contact a qualified technician to have the problem fixed
- Call 911 for anyone experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms
Common Carbon Monoxide Misconceptions
When it comes to carbon monoxide, there are several misconceptions. They include:
- Misconception #1: CO is lighter than air and rises to the ceiling
- Misconception #2: CO has a distinct odor
- Misconception #3: Fever is a symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Misconception #4: CO poisoning causes skin and nail beds to turn pink in color
Protect Your Home From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
At Hue & Cry Security Systems, we’re a family owned business that understands home security. We know what’s important and necessary to keep your family and home safe.
We specialize in home security systems for residents in Northern California and Oregon. As a locally owned and operated business, we care deeply about your community because we live there too!
To learn how we can help with your home security needs, give us a call today at 1-800-762-3196.