Fire can be devastating to any business, so it is best to make sure that you are protected the right way.
Having a fire alarm system installed can help stop destruction and prevent the loss of life. Here are four excellent tips to help ensure fire safety in your business.
1). Fire Suppression System
In most businesses, and especially restaurants, you should have a fire suppression system installed. They are strategically placed around the office building or kitchen and are triggered when the temperature changes to certain degrees.
Fire suppression systems can also be manually turned on to release chemicals that extinguish fires. Restaurants and offices should have the fire suppression systems installed professionally and tested regularly.
2). Fire Evacuation Plan
Every business needs to have a fire evacuation plan. Make sure that all the employees are aware of the evacuation route to take because the perfect plan is useless if only one person knows it. Some other key points to be covered in the fire evacuation plan are:
- Include the correct exits to use and the number of steps to get to them in case of reduced visibility.
- Every business needs at least two exits in case one is blocked.
Post the fire escape plan where everyone can see it and perform fire drills until your staff can do it with their eyes closed.
3). Company Policies
Along with the right fire evacuation plan and fire alarm system, fire prevention depends on the proper mindset. Follow these tips for proper business fire safety:
- Give breathing room to computers to reduce the build-up of heat.
- Never bend or crush cords under furniture.
- Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Smokers should always smoke in designated areas.
- Report any fire hazards to maintenance immediately
4). Comply with all Fire Safety Codes
Learn what the fire safety codes are for your city and state. The Life Safety Code 101 has specific provisions on exits, fire extinguishers, and more. For example the Life Safety Code says:
- At least two exits must be provided in all buildings.
- Exits must be clearly marked and labeled.
- Exits cannot be obstructed.
Using these Tips
Business security systems can deter thieves from breaking in and taking your valuables. Having the correct fire alarm solution is great for preventing a fire in your business. Following these four tips can help to ensure your business doesn’t have to experience any unneeded losses due to fire.