Who says watching reality television can’t teach you something about your business?
Restaurant Stakeout on the Food Network can provide you with valuable lessons about employee theft. In each episode, the show uses hidden cameras to expose what employees at restaurants are doing on the company’s dime.
This includes horseplay, wasting time on smartphones and employee theft. If you haven’t seen the show here’s a clip.
So what can Restaurant Stakeout teach you about employee theft? Here are some valuable lessons from the show.
1. Get a Professionally Designed and Installed Security Camera Surveillance System: It’s the first thing that always happens on Restaurant Stakeout. Security camera surveillance is a great deterrent for employee theft. It also allows you to monitor your business when you’re not around. You can remotely view employee behavior on internet connected smartphones, tablets and computers. Plus, it gives you key intelligence about customer service and other operational issues.
2. Set the Tone: Your managers and staff look to you to set the tone for your business. If you’re totally hands off or unprofessional, you’re going to run into inevitable problems like employee theft.
3. Hire Good Managers: You can’t always be there to monitor and run your business. The key is to get managers that your employees will respect. On the show, employees regularly walk over weak and lazy managers. Employees will be more likely to steal from you if your managers are amateurs.
4. Key Valuables in Controlled Areas: Employees steal items that are easy to access. If valuables are in access controlled areas, you can use cards or key fobs to control access. Plus, you can record who comes and goes, the times they accessed the area and more. You can even integrate them with your security alarm and/or camera surveillance system.
5. Perform Background Checks & Drug Screenings: Employees are more likely to steal if they have a criminal history and use drugs. Perform background checks on all candidates before hiring. You might want to take it a step further with drug tests.
At Hue & Cry, Inc., we install security camera surveillance systems and access control systems at California and Oregon businesses that help to deter employee theft. You can also remotely monitor employees with our systems just like on Restaurant Stakeout. To find out more about how we can help you, visit www.HueAndCry.com or call us at 1-800-762-3196.